Today is Abraham Lincoln's birthday, so I feel it is especially appropriate to put into words what I've been reflecting on lately in regards to slavery and the role of the Church. I've been doing some research recently to learn about what churches were like during the time of slavery in American history, particularly once it became a more contentious issue and people were taking a stand against it. To be honest, what I've found has been a bit discouraging, but I'll let you know why I think understanding the role of the Church during the time of slavery emancipation is also super important and empowering.
If you mention a president from recent history, it's rare to not have someone in earshot who has icky feelings about them, for whatever reason. However, it's hard to find anyone who has a negative thing to say about Abraham Lincoln. But obviously during his time, there were certainly people who didn't like him... his assassinator John Wilke Booth, for example. Good ole' Abe is known as the president who ended slavery of Africans in the United States.
Ending slavery shook up life for a lot of people. Many people had paid many pretty pennies for their human labor, and freeing them would be a financial burden for the "owners." Also, ending slavery was a tough pill for many to swallow, because it essentially recognized that they had been living immorally by owning slaves.
How did the Church respond?
With slavery emancipation, there were people on both sides of the issue in the churches. This includes people who felt financially dependent on the work of slaves. If the Church took a stand against this evil, it would surely mean creating conflict, losing members, and losing tithes $$$. So, in general, churches remained ambivalent, not addressing the issue, though still offering the Eucharist to slaves who sat in the back of the church. Of course, some priests, pastors, and lay people were active individually along the underground railroad, but the Church in general was unwilling to take a stand.
To take a compassionate stand to free the slaves was contentious. And it required trust in God rather than man, because men were going to get mad about this, and only God could offer safety and meet their needs during the huge cultural change.
I love how on the US currency of the penny, next to Abraham Lincoln's head, it says, "IN GOD WE TRUST."
Abraham Lincoln led this country according to what was morally right, when the Church was unwilling to take a stand. Why? Because he trusted in God. Sure, he was ultimately killed, but I'm sure his treasure is much greater in heaven.
What does this mean for the Church today?
Let's remember to take a hint from Abe, to trust in God! The Church can be empowered to lead this world in compassion towards all of God's creatures - if we are willing to put our trust in God and take a stand.
I don't want to look back on this time of history and see the Church being ambivalent for the sake of $$$ and false peace. Rise up, Church! Eyes are being opened to how unnecessary and cruel animal agriculture is. Let's be on the right side of history this time - let's take a stand! Let's really trust in God! Let's truly be the Church and meet the needs of our brothers and sisters while they transition to more compassionate occupations. Let's love! IN GOD WE TRUST.
"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."
- Galatians 1:10

No comments:
Post a Comment