Saturday, July 4, 2015

A New Red, White, and Blue

If you are looking for something to pray for, please pray for a sweet 6-yr-old in Pancho Mateo. I’m blanking on her name right now, but she has a serious health condition and lives with her very unloving dad. Her left arm has swollen up to the size of a football player’s arm, and she is going to have it amputated in the near future. She used to be a student at Makarios, but for complicated reasons related to her uncle that I still don’t fully understand, she is no longer a student. She is full of grace and has a super sweet spirit, and she needs a lot of prayer.

I am continuing to love life here in the DR. Kelly and I have decided we will probably both move here in a few years, si Dios quiere (Lord willing). It’s interesting to spend the 4th of July here in the DR. Although, the DR colors are red, white, and blue too. It’s just a different red, white, and blue that doesn’t seem to bat an eye at July 4th….but I’ve heard their February 27th is quite jamming here, as that is their independence day. We are going to have a little BBQ just for fun today for those of us that care about the 4th of July. I’m bringing mangos.

I’m trying to think about what has happened since my post last week. We have a new group in now. They are a young adult group from Texas. Makarios has most of their PR in Texas, I’m realizing. When we introduce ourselves to new groups, I’m always the “non-Texas person.” I’m proud to represent the north, but I never really thought of Kentucky as the north before.

Shout out to the group last week who left all of us super encouraged by uplifting notes!!!

I like this group. This is their third day here, and they are already wearing me out. This really athletic girl is here, and she convinced me to run with her this morning after yesterday’s difficult run and my “hot Zumba” class. So I’m pretty beat now, but it’s good to be exhausted, especially when I have this morning off and can just sit and blog. The team is currently in Pancho Mateo, one of our main communities we serve. They are cleaning the church there and playing with the kiddos. Last week, we had a jamming volleyball game in Pancho Mateo for the girls. Most of the sports here are taken over by guys, so we wanted to allow a sports outlet for girls. 10 or so girls came out and played with the team we had last week. It was a good game, but I didn’t watch most of it, to be honest. I was busy babysitting the little ones on the sidelines, trying to break up fights, calm tears, and keep the toddlers from crawling into the broken glass haven under the concrete bleachers. There are so many kids here who are responsible for taking care of their younger siblings. There was a 5-yr-old toting around her naked baby brother. And one of the 12-ish-yr-old girls playing volleyball kept coming over to the sidelines to calm her 2-yr-old sister. On the up-side, they are learning parenting skills very early on…but they are also experiencing a very different childhood from the North American norm. I have yet to figure out what’s good, what’s bad, and what’s just different?

I had a really good conversation with my mentor Tuesday, while I treated her to a Coca-Cola with an ocean view. She talked some about what she learned during missionary training before her move to the DR. She said some things are good, some things are bad, but some things that we view positively or negatively are really just different from our cultural norm and we view them in a tainted way based on that. That got me thinking about things on bigger and smaller scales. I think growing up, I had viewed some of my sisters’ qualities negatively just because they were different from mine. But in reality, differences can be huge blessings. People can reach others for the kingdom of God because of their differences. The same is true for culture. Yes, they drive like hooligans here. But at least that keeps them from texting and driving because they feel more of a desperate need to pay attention to the road. There’s good and bad in the differences.

This is my beautiful mentor Gabrielle with one of her students in the Chichigua community.

We also talked about how, as a missionary, we aren’t just bringing “The Gospel.” In reality, we are bringing ourselves. So focusing on being filled with as much of Jesus as possible is vital to missionary life (and the Christian life period). Even though people are getting “you” rather than Jesus, the more filled we are, the more the Truth can be spread through us. That was a huge encouragement to me to hear and just to be reminded of how essential preparation through growth in the Lord is.

We (the interns) also got to do a super cool thing the other day before the group got here. Margaret and Doug were taking a chill pill together at the beach, and we were in Los Ciruelos with Sharla (the founder of Makarios – and CU grad – who was here with her two boys she adopted from here). We were given a task to do random acts of kindness for all of the Dominican and Haitian Makarios staff. It was SUCH a cool experience!! We baked several batches of cookies and brownies to give out. (Many of the staff don’t have ovens, so it was a special treat for them.) We hired Aldo, who drives some of the students to and from school, to drive us around for several hours. The first stop was Los Algodones, where we met up with Monica and Odilsia. They cook lunches at the Makarios school. We gave them cookies and talked with them. They were so surprised and overwhelmed with joy at our visit. Monica shared with us about how she came to know the Lord through meeting her husband. She said she wanted a husband very badly, so she went up the mountain and prayed to God for a husband. When she met her husband, she knew it was an answer to prayer and that she could trust in the Lord. Before leaving, we prayed for them and exchanged reluctant goodbyes. Then we went to Chichigua, where Ronal lives. He works at the school and has the one of the cutest baby girls I have ever seen. He and his wife became believers a couple years ago and got married shortly after. Ronal, like many Haitians living in the DR, are in the process of trying to get their residency papers so that they won’t be deported and forced to live away from their families and established lives here. Then we visited about 10 houses in Montellano, bringing heartwarming tears to the eyes of a couple of them. Back to Los Circuelos, our final stop was for Lucia and Belizeur. “Beli” is a teacher at the school. He teaches religion, math, and English. He runs with Jacob and a I a few mornings each week and is the daughter of Lucia, our cleaning lady and cook at the Mak house. They have a beautiful, loving family, and Lucia’s husband is actually a pastor at a church in Los Algodones. After we prayed for them, Lucia’s husband prayed for us too and encouraged us to be in prayer for the United States, especially because of the recent Supreme Court ruling about gay marriage.

You see that wall in the background? The community of million-dollar homes on the other side put it up to block out the view of the poverty. (Otherwise Chichigua would still have their beautiful view of the ocean.) Isn't that what we do to God, telling him we don't want to see the areas of need in our own lives?

Thinking about some cultural differences once again, I reflected on how, in the United States, people would be more likely to be upset by a spontaneous visitor than to be overjoyed to the point of tears. Their hospitality, relational focus, warm greetings, and openness about struggles to pray for really touched me and challenged me to live more like that.

On Sunday, Kelly and I had the unique opportunity to go to church in Los Algodones with Lucia. It was the most treacherous moto ride of my life. This time, it was not because of the traffic but because of the terrain. Evidently, many moto chofers refuse to take people to Los Algodones because the roads are just THAT bad. Beli and his uncle (Monica’s husband) drove us. Sylvia came with us too and did my hair for me before we left for church. She is a sweet blessing and honestly feels like a little sister to me. I didn’t understand very much of the service because it was mainly in Creole, but the pastor (not Lucia’s husband, but a substitute pastor) was surprisingly fluent in English and translated for himself so we could understand. There were a couple little girls who were super intrigued by us the whole time, holding our hands and touching our hair. When it was time for the offering, I gave them some pesos to put in the plate, and it made their day! Like my sister Laurel always says, it’s the little things.

Kelly and I had some free time before the group got here Wednesday, so we snagged a few hours with Cleuyi at the beach. Cleuyi is our moto driver who is very open to the Gospel but hasn’t committed yet. I wrote my testimony and a gospel summary in Spanish and shared it with Cleuyi. He said it was beautiful, and we had a really good discussion. And we all enjoyed our Mango Verde Gatorade, not available in the US to our knowledge.

Yep, there's 4 of us on Cleuyi's moto. Livin' the dream, going to Montellano to get peppers and tomatoes.

I went over to Nicole’s yesterday. Nicole is a sweetheart. She’s a counselor for the kids at the Mak school and is studying psychology at the university. Her English is better than my Spanish, so we went on a walk and had a lovely Spanglish conversation. I met her friend and neighbor Danielle. We went to the colmado so I could get change and buy a bag of hamburger Cheetos to share. Turns out they don’t like hamburger Cheetos though, but at least I tried to share them. Nicole and I had a really good conversation about determining God’s will and about this book called Love Does that I just read (p.s. I highly recommend that book)!

I had the privilege of cooking dinner with Lucia and Odilsia yesterday. And by cooking dinner, I mean slaving in the 90 degree kitchen for 4 hours, loving every minute of it, as I made great conversation and jokes in the best Spanish I know how, according to Jonnah standards. I’m learning that “good food” here is classified as food with a LOT of salt and oil. It’s scary (for my health) how much I like it. I always tease Lucia that it needs to be spicier (mas picante es siempre mejor).

In other news, I’m hoping to meet my Compassion child Angelica in a couple weeks! I told Cleuyi I have a girl in Santiago, and he got a little freaked out, thinking I have a daughter. I debated not clarifying, just for the humor of it, but then I did.

P.S. Mom I get tons of compliments on your pants, though I typically roll them up into shorts because despite the thin material, it’s just so Dominican hot here. I love it though. I’m used to the constant sweating and enjoy it as long as I stay hydrated.  

A guy just passed the house on a horse with a pig following behind.

Peace, love, and happy 4th of July!


“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.” Col. 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment