Howdy yall! I’m in my third week here in the DR. It’s been
crazy sometimes, good sometimes, and crazy good sometimes. Last week, we hosted
Grace Bible from Dallas, TX. This week, we are hosting Fellowship Round Rock
(from Round Rock, TX – just outside of Austin). My mind is all over the place.
I’m leaving in less than an hour to meet up with the crew, but I have some free
time right now, so I thought I would update this blog. So here goes…
God gave me Gabrielle as my mentor during my time with her.
I have gotten to meet with her three times now (officially, but I see her
around several times per week). She’s a teacher at Makarios for the Pre-K3
group (for the 3-yr old cuties). She’s been a huge encouragement and we connect
very deeply. We have shared our testimonies and talked about life down here,
family, ways to pray for each other. She challenged me most recently to write
out a brief testimony and gospel presentation in Spanish to practice and have
on-hand so that I can always be prepared to share. I’m excited to prep that!
We (the interns) got to have our first moto trips to the
school. (Although, now that I’m writing this, I’m a pro.) My first moto
experience was a bit scary, especially with all of the bumps in the road, but I
loosened up halfway there and enjoyed the adventure….with my hands clasped
tightly to the seat.
I have gotten to meet a lot of the staff at the school. They
encourage me so much because they are so passionate about what they do! Most of
them are Dominican. They sang the Makarios school song for us, which (now that I’ve
heard it a couple times) always makes me get up and dance. It’s a lot of fun!
We also started our Bible study of James with Margaret and
Doug and the other interns, which is proving to be a huge blessing as well as a
very unifying and edifying experience for all of us.
We got to spend a day at the beach, which was a good break.
Kelly got her entire head braided into cornrows. It was really cool. She kept
them in for a couple weeks and just took them out the other day. While at the
ocean, I got something in my eye and my eye hurt for several days, but it doesn’t
anymore. Also, speaking of beach time, I’ve been getting a lot of sun. If my
tanning rate continues progressing at the same rate, I will be darker than the
Dominicans by the end of the summer. I also realized that pineapple is a great
addition to chicken salad ß
free advice for you. And I started reading Blue Like Jazz while at the beach,
which I have now completed. It made me think a lot, especially about my ability
to make a difference with my individual life and how I need to fight against my
self-centeredness.
The Grace Bible group was a blast overall. They were a
genuine, great group in general with plenty of spunk and humor. It was my pleasure
to lead them in different activities, VBS, community visits, and construction
projects. And I was blessed to learn from them, be challenged, and have deep
conversations. And we got to have a water day with the little kids in which we
filled up two swimming pools in the back yard and got a slip-n-slide out. They
didn’t understand the concept of a slip-n-slide at first, but it was humorous
and fun.
I got a freaky spider bite that kept growing and bubbling up
with fluid, but now it’s basically gone and just have some skin discoloration.
A few of the other interns and I took a moto trip to a cheap
restaurant called Balin in the next town over, Montellano. Balin is the name of
the guy whose restaurant it is. He runs it with his wife and two sons. His sons
are learning English and are surprisingly good. I enjoy the hot dogs and tacos
there ($1 each)….they are unlike anything American haha but they are great with
the Balin hot sauce. On our way, we had to find motos to take us. Kelly and I
found this guy named Cleui (it took me forever to figure out how to say it
right), and he has proven to be the best moto chofer around. I actually got to
have some good conversations with him recently on trips to the school and
church. I found out that he is 23, not a Christian, but he attends a church
here and likes the people but hasn’t committed yet. I’m excited to see what God
does with him during our time here. He’s a super sweet guy, and I’m hoping he
can come hang out with us interns sometime. He wouldn’t join us at Balin our
last time there because he “needed to go home and shave first.” They take going
out really seriously here….even just to go to the grocery store, people shower
and dress up. I try to have just enough swagger to not draw too much attention
to myself….it’s a hard balance, as an American girl here usually draws
attention regardless.
I have gotten to meet a lot more people in the neighborhood
recently, which is always fun and encouraging. They are so welcoming and open.
I love it here. I think I might live here forever ßthis is fair warning. The
other day, Kelly and I were walking some kids home from playing at the house.
It was about a five minute walk, but it ended up taking us a beautiful hour
because we talked with the kids’ grandparents for a while and played around
more with the kids, then stopped and talked / prayed with Sylvia and Miguelina’s
aunt on our walk back. Sylvia and Miguelina are very special to Margaret and
Doug. They take care of them a lot because they are orphans and the aunt is not
very capable.
I also met this gal named Michelle who is also living in Los
Ciruelos, but with the peace corps. She’s really cool and doesn’t get out much.
She’s hoping to come to church with us this week.
At church, I met this lady named Theresa. She’s super sweet
and gave me a cough drop….they basically eat them like candy here, but I actually
needed a cough drop that day.
Lucia, the cleaning lady, has a son named Abrahm who comes
here to the Mak house to clean too, and he has a great singing voice. So Lucia
got him to sing Happy Birthday to my dad last week. That made my day. He’s
sweeping and singing in the room with me as I type this.
We got to check out a new beach for a couple hours this past
weekend – Sosua. The water was clear and beautiful. We (the interns) went out
snorkeling and saw a bunch of fish.
Yesterday, there was a girl here from Fellowship who wasn’t
feeling well. She thought she was going to throw up and was struggling with
anxiety, so she stayed back from the construction work. I was able to pray with
her and bring her water. I was surprised to see her later in the day, and she
thanked me for praying for her and said she felt much better after that. Praise
God!
I got to lead my first Zumba class for the Makarios ladies
this past Friday, which was a blast. All of the Tamarindo community kids
watched through the fence haha. It was one of my favorite Zumba classes to
date, despite being 90 degrees. There’s so much energy here! After the hour of Zumba,
Kelly and I hiked up Mt. Isabelle for 3.5 hrs. And we didn’t get sore!
OK that’s all for now because I have to go work but there’s
more to come soon! And pictures! Love you all and thanks for the support and
prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment