Sunday, September 8, 2013

New Term, New Town, New Adventure with Jesus

Sorry I don't have pictures yet......but it's still good stuff!

Once I wasn't going on trips every week, I was able to be home for a couple weeks before moving to Michigan.

I was able to be there for my dad's heart surgery a week and a half ago. I was glad I hadn't moved to Michigan yet because I was the one that took him to the surgery and drove him home. He had ablation surgery for his arhythmia, which seems to have helped him a lot. His heart rate went from 150 to 85 and is back in rhythm. We had a scare the other day where we thought he was going to have a heart attack because his arm went numb, but evidently everything is okay. Still quite a bit of healing to do though before going back to work in a week.

On my way up to Michigan, I visited Cedarville for the weekend. Prepare yourself for this epic run-on sentence: I got to go to a powerful SGA chapel, got some great one-on-one time with Lindsay at lunch in the hive, went to Purple Pizza Eater's for the fall kickoff event, went longboarding with Sarah and Mike and Joe and Luke and a new friend Andrew that we met in a parking lot, climbed a tree in a cemetery and had an epic chat about life and God and living out faith, did a fail-of-a cartwheel, decided that I'm probably transferring schools to UK, went to the firehouse breakfast, stayed with Sarah and Ashley in McKinney, played sand volleyball with Joe Parker and Philip and friends, made pizzas with Dubie and Sarah and Ashley, ate a habenero then promptly followed that with a half-gallon of raw milk, watched the second half of the Cedarville soccer scrimmage, went to the Cedarville community church gathering and had some epic worship with Heartsong, went to lunch at Chuck's, had some chill time in the Maddox courtyard with Ella, and said my goodbyes.

Then I drove 3.5 hrs to Canton, MI where I am currently residing.

My first week of work was great. The first two days were orientation with about 60 other co-op students. On Tuesday, about twelve of us co-ops went out for Japanese food at a cool place in Ann Arbor where I had duck ramen, which was my first time eating duck. I probably won't order it ever again, but it wasn't bad. I also found out that I'm the only co-op of the sixty of us working at the Livonia location for prototype development. It's pretty much the sweetest job that I could imagine, because I get to work where the first car of each Toyota model are made. Crazy interesting fact/coincidence: my manager's name is Steve and my mentor's name is John - which is the same as when I was in Indiana! I have also been recruited to run the Ekiden race that they do up here at TTC (Toyota Technical Center) to collect non-perishables for an organization called SOS. So that race will be at the end of the month. On Friday night, about 15 of us co-ops went out for pizza......in downtown Ann Arbor the weekend of the UofM/Notre Dame game, so everything was a zoo. It took us three hours to get dinner. Saturday morning I went on a 5.5 mile run with Kevin, one of the guys I'm training for my half-marathon with. Then I went to my cousin Emma's figure skating competition, which was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. Then I visited my grandma and started a drawing. Today I went to church with Christine and Jaret (co-ops) and Alex (a guy from Jaret's group at work) and Hannah (Alex's fiance) and went to a unique little Mexican place for lunch. In general, I've been the recipient of many home-cooked meals from the hospitality of my aunt and uncle. But I plan to make dinner this Tuesday, so hopefully that goes well!

Here are the links for my half marathon! The first one is an info link about the Amish Country race. The second one is a link to the ActiveWater website that I'm fundraising for. Check it out (and support me if you so desire)!

2 comments:

  1. Jonnah, Thanks for the update! It's so exciting to hear about your experiences. I noticed your Nov. 30th half-marathon date is the Saturday following Thanksgiving. I thought about going to support and/or signing up for the 5K but I will probably be driving home that morning or afternoon. I'm sure it will be a great experience with the team members you have recruited. Love Ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I'm in your post! So cool! I'm really glad to hear that things are going well in Michigan so far. :)

    ReplyDelete