Sunday, September 8, 2013

Post-DR Summer Summary

It was quite a whirlwind of a summer! I took a different trip just about every week for two months straight.

After going on the mission trip to the Dominican (see previous blog post), I continued on many adventures. Lots of other things happened, but here's the highlights.

I went down to Camp Loucon, which is definitely one of my favorite places on earth - though I feel like a nomad without a home with favorite places all over the globe - and counselled for Senior High Assembly 1. It was a definite blessing to me. I hadn't even considered how the campers that I had the previous two summers would be in that camp that week! It was great because I already had established relationships with a lot of them, so we could hit the ground running. I co-counselled with a very sweet and encouraging girl that I had seen around camp before but hadn't ever gotten to know until then. We did everything to the extreme that week - from the typical camp activities (ziplining, rock climbing, games) to worship to cabin devo times (a rowdy girl named Pegasus was a tough one to keep focused, but I hope she still got something out of the week) to the dance party to sharing testimonies to giving hugs. It was yet another time of great memories that remind me why I cherish Loucon so much - God is definitely using that place and the incredible staff for His glory.

I also went to Michigan to spend time with family for the week of the fourth of July. We went out on the lake in my aunt and uncle's boat for tubing (and some of the more adventurous people went skiing). And we had fire pit nights, grilling out, and lots of chilling. It was my main quality time with my beloved sister Laurel for the summer, as the rest of the time she was out wandering the country to teach cheer camps. I borrowed her book Not a Fan that week and devoured it - so challenging and good. I don't want to just be a "Christian" - I want to be a disciple, a key player in what God is doing in the world, not just a fan of what I see going on. It was also good quality time with my aunt, uncle, and cousins (who I am now living with until December). My friend Mike from the ville came to visit on his route back to Kalamazoo from the UP. He owned everyone at water skiing and it was great to see him again. I also had some good chats with my mom and grandma, and we celebrated my cousin Kyle's 12th birthday....time sure does fly by.

Then I took a road trip with my bff Mary Kate. We hiked in Red River Gorge, went to MK's bday dinner in Knoxville with Kaelin and Laurel (who just happened to be in town for her cheerleading jazz), got to meet Kaelin's beloved puppy and she let us crash at her place for the night. The next morning, MK and I went to North Carolina, hitting up the Ashville farmer's market on our way to our camp site. I had the best peach of my life, and we climbed a tree. My other bff Grace met up with us in NC at our camp site and we pitched the tent in the rain. We would have stayed at that campsite longer because it was in a cool forest, but there weren't showers, so that wasn't about to happen. One lady spotted a bear less than a mile from where we were camping, but we sadly didn't get to see a bear that entire trip. We also hit up a palace, an estruarium (don't know what that is? neither did we), a cute little church, the beach, a campsite that was so sketchy I couldn't sleep (knives sticking out of trees, a guy living out of a camper in the middle of the woods, and the screaming sound of...an animal dying?) - just to name a few. One of my favorite memories of the trip is when MK led us in worship music in the middle of the woods. It's so beautiful to see God in nature and in each other.

Then I went as a counselor for our youth group mission trip to Louisville. I love those kids so much! Mission trip round two with Elley, Nate, and Abby. Our Louisville friends from the DR came and met up with us for dinner one night! My personal favorite place we went to was an apartment village for refugees. We did a lot of yard work there, and we had some cool interactions. I met a guy from Haiti and some kids from the middle east. One of the kids, when I asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up, told me he wanted to kill people. I was startled and asked him if he meant he wanted to be in the military or what, and he said he wanted to be a cop. And I asked him why he was so intent on wanting to kill people, and he said it was because then he would be able to kill people like me...........that was a little unnerving and sad. Then he ran away and I didn't see him again. It just goes to show what these people have been through. That kid can't even trust people anymore and feels the need to protect himself through violence I suppose. It was eye-opening. Oh and I ate a worm...and inspired all the kids in my group to eat worms - yay for team bonding. And got to lead low-ropes, which reminded me of Loucon :)

Then I went to the UP (upper peninsula of Michigan) for the first time with Mike, Luke, Josiah, and MK. We stayed at Mike's cabin with his family and wonderful family friend Layla who is now also my friend. It was a trip of a lot of firsts, including sailing and dirt-biking. Mike's family is spectacular, and it was a blessing to get to meet them. I hope to see them again sometime soon. We went fishing once too but I didn't catch anything. And I helped Mike and Josiah train for their air force marathon by going on a run with them, though I probably just slowed them down to be honest. God has blessed me so much with relationships with friends and family. I was just talking with Dubie today about how awful it would be if nobody else was in the world. I'm so grateful for other people, especially the people that are as awesome as the people in my life are.

Then I went to Chicago and had a much-needed visit with Tori. We hit up downtown, went to the zoo, spent some beautiful time at Lake Michigan, and played with her cute chihuahua. I carpooled up there with two of her friends that I hadn't met before, but they were welcoming and I'm better off having known them. I also got to know Tori's mom better, which was a blessing. And got some work on my tan. And I got to experience Tori's new Chicago church, which was definitely anointed by the Lord.

Then I spent some time in NKY and then moved to Michigan......more on that next!



No comments:

Post a Comment