Saturday, December 15, 2018

Aloha


Hello family, friends, and whoever else happens to read this,

I hope this finds you well. Merry Christmas!

I have some super exciting news to update you with: THE LORD HAS CALLED ME TO HAWAII!

How did this happen?

               Well, the Lord works in mysterious ways. It’s hard to put it into words, but so many (SO MANY) wonderful things converged, and God has told me that now is the time to go, and that’s where He wants me. If you want more details, feel free to contact me personally.

Will I still be finishing seminary?

               Yes, I plan to finish school online from Hawaii. I am switching degree programs from Intercultural Studies to Ministry so that I can finish online, but I will still be taking many of the same classes and can still take intercultural classes as electives or independent study. Honestly, I’m stoked about switching to the Masters in Ministry program because I wanted to take a preaching class anyway, and I think these classes will give me a great holistic preparation for what I believe God is leading me to.

What will I be doing in Hawaii?

               I have accepted a position for a work trade on the Big Island where I will work a few hours each day on a fruit farm in exchange for free living space. I’m very excited to be going to the area of Pahoa and serving in a hippie vegan community. I will be nearby a local church that I intend to get involved in right away as well. There is a lot of service work to be done to help the hundreds of people who have been displaced due to the recent volcanic eruption, so hopefully I can get involved with that. 


What am I looking forward to?

               Honestly, I’m super stoked about the sunshine. Though I never expected to be called to the tropical paradise of Hawaii, I’m not complaining. This is a huge blessing, and God is showing me how He knows me and wants to provide for me. He knows that I hate being cold and that the lack of sun in the winter is detrimental to my health. I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to serve Him on this adventure in the sun. 


Any prayer concerns?

               Please be in prayer for my transition there. Building relationships will probably flow really naturally there in general, as the culture where I am going is very open and authentic. However, since many people just go to Hawaii for a year or so and come back, the residents have come to expect the transitory nature of people who come to the island, so they are not always as willing to invest time and energy to relationships with people they expect will also just leave. It is also very important to me that I enter into life-giving Christian fellowship upon arrival, so please pray for that manifestation with my church community there. 


Please bless me by letting me know how I can pray for you as well.

In Christ’s love, ALOHA!!!

1 comment:

  1. So proud of your courage to move as God speaks His truth over you! And I am very glad for social media & face time apps as my live time hugging opportunities are counting down! I love you Jonnah Dee Baker and know you will make a difference and shine your bright light where ever you are called to go. Because you are always open to listen you always hear the call. And because you always say, "Send me, Lord."

    ReplyDelete