[Disclaimer: I haven't really proof-read this, and it's really late at night, so please don't judge any spelling/grammar errors as insults to my intelligence.]
Well, it's December 29 already...the end (of 2013) is near! It's been a crazy, awesome, adventurous, confusing, rewarding year. This year has been so full of LIFE that it makes me wonder what God has for next year. It seems this journey keeps exploding with more and more of the abundance He offers. I definitely have made mistakes this past year, but He has taught me from them. And I'm excited to keep learning and living and saying "YES" to wherever He calls me. And I pray the same for each of you reading this.
Bear with me here, cuz this is gonna be a longer post...got three months to talk about here haha.
Since we last talked (my last post):
I went to a really cool worship night at U of M's campus with my friend Christine. However, before we actually went to it, I met her at her apartment complex. But before I went into her apartment, I was sitting in my car eating a taco (it was National Taco Day - thanks Dad for informing me). When I was done eating my taco, I noticed someone walking behind my car when I looked in the rear view mirror. She seemed unstable. When I looked at her closer, I noticed that her eyes kept closing. I thought she was about to pass out or was sleepwalking or something of that nature, so I got out of my car to see if I could help her. I asked her if everything was okay and told her why I was concerned. She nonchalantly told me with a smile that she was fine. Then I noticed she was smoking a joint. This was my first interaction with someone smoking pot, I realized, but I decided to take up the opportunity to talk to her because my friend was not going to be ready for a few minutes anyway. She told me her life in a nutshell, including the fact that her husband was about double her age and a professor at the university. She said she thought I was basically the same person as her and that I should come over and smoke pot with her and her husband and some other people sometime. I told her I wasn't into that kind of thing. She said she had just assumed I was because of the way I dressed. Evidently I dress like a pothead. Anyways, I gave her my number and told her about our church down the street that she seemed interested in. I still haven't heard from her, but I have prayed for her...seemed like she was going through a hard time. After that strange encounter, I went to the worship event with my friend and definitely felt God moving there. We had the humbling privilege of praying with a couple other girls who had just lost their friend that morning to brain cancer. It was for sure one of those "for such a time is this" kind of days. And one of my co-op friends (who I never would have expected to be into churchy kind of things) heard about the worship event from me. He didn't end up coming that night, but he came to church with me and a group of the other co-ops every week after that. And then God slapped me over the head and reminded me that he came for EVERYONE.
At work, I had a random encounter with a co-op friend who came by our facility to work on a project. I was talking to him during a lull in our work, and we got on the subject of exercising and being healthy. He said he drinks protein shakes. I told him that I, in general, thought those tasted nasty and that I tend to go for protein in chicken, quinoa, and beans. His surprised response was, "Oh, you eat meat? I thought you were nice." Then we had an interesting discussion about worldviews. He said all of the nice people he had met before me were vegetarians. However, his family is Muslim, so I think he's used to being around a different group of people. Funny thing though, I asked him if he was vegetarian, and he said no. I'm still planning on having a more faith-oriented discussion with him. He seemed really interested in my spirituality, so that's always encouraging when people notice that.
I also went on the Walk to End Alzheimer's in Ann Arbor. I heard that a group from Toyota was doing the walk, so my friend Netsanet and I signed up and Toyota sponsored us. We got sweet t-shirts and walked proudly for a great cause. My Mamaw had dementia (related to Alzheimer's) before she passed away, so it is an issue dear to me. Everyone we talked to at the walk had stories of a loved one with the disease. It definitely makes me look forward to the future though when there will be no more pain, suffering, disease.
He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4
Photo op with my favorite animal during the Alzheimer's walk
By far the best movie I saw during the semester of Michigan shenanigans was GRAVITY. If you haven't seen it, please do. I can pretty much guarantee it will enhance your life. Although, some of the co-ops that don't enjoy thinking deeply about life would have rather watched Anchorman, but I think it still enhanced their life whether or not they realize it. You can't sit through that movie without thinking about the meaning of life and where you are going when you die. Sandra Bullock did a great job, I must say.
I finally started the Mark Bible study at work I had been planning on. We got into chapter 5 of the book of Mark by the end of my term. There were five of us women involved. It started out only three though, so I was encouraged by the growth. And they plan to continue the study even though I won't be there anymore. I was so honored to be used by God in that way, and I was definitely blessed by each of those women. I feel like I have gained several mothers, but no worries because I mean it in a wonderful loving way rather than an annoyingly nagging way. And now that I think about it, I should have gotten a picture together with them, but I didn't think of that. So you will have to take me word for it that they exist.
I ran my first 10K this fall. It was called the RunScreamRun. Can you guess why? Because we were running and screaming and running. That's why haha. It was Halloween themed, so my friend Netsanet and I decided to dress up for the haunted race. We went to Goodwill and found kimonos. Diversity comes in handy! Seriously, Canton, MI is one of the most diverse place I have ever lived - love it! Our friend Dan was a ninny and didn't dress up, but at least he was fun to run with.
Nets and I nearing the finish
Me, Dan, and Netsanet after the race
The creepiest creepy thing I've ever seen
I recommend doing a haunted run if you are trying to improve your speed.
Full body shot of the creepster.
The run was held at Wiard's Orchard in Ypsilanti, MI.
Beautiful shot of part of the path....photo cred to Netsanet's friend for all of these.
Yes, that kid ran in that large outfit the whole 6.2 miles.
I was going for the Mulan look - Mike, don't insert your anti-feminism comments here.
That same weekend, my friend Jacob was visiting. Funny thing, all the places I took him in Ann Arbor were places that I hadn't yet been to. So it was exploration for both of us. We went to the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, which I highly recommend, and ate grapes that we plucked for ourselves and explored some cool trails. We ate lunch at the notorious Zingerman's deli - delicious bbq! Then we went to the farmer's market across the street and picked up ingredients to make homemade chipotle-style burritos. One of the ingredients that wasn't on the list however was a hot chili pepper. However, a guy offered one to Jake, so he ate it. I think really he was just trying to show that he was as hardcore as I was for eating the habenero back in August. After his tongue was no longer on fire, we proceeded with the day's events of cooking for my cousins and taking them to Sky Zone. However, by mid-day, I had developed quite the painful blister on my toe from the RunScreamRun, so I didn't participate much in the trampoline park of Sky Zone. I won't go into the details of my blister, but it was the worst one of my life. So I wasn't the happiest camper (well, for a number of reasons), but I was really glad Jake was there watching the kiddos with me, and I know my cousin Kyle enjoyed the World of Warcraft discussions. Thanks for the visit, Jake!
At Frita Batidos restaurant
Looking poised in the botanical gardens
We found the violin wolfman outside the farmer's market!
Also this term....there was a bit of an incident at work. It's kind of humorous right now but was not so humorous at the time. So what happened was, I needed a large order of parts to come in for me to take to the supplier. I had been waiting all day. They were supposed to be there by noon (well, really they were supposed to be there the week prior, but anyway...). Of course, they didn't show up till around 3:30. So right when the shipment comes in, I get the guys in the back to load it up in the back of the Tundra for me. Then I right away book it to the supplier. Once I get on the highway, I turn up the country tunes and have a wonderful jam session with myself. I cherish times like that because they don't happen that often during the busy work day. Periodically, I was looking out the rear view mirror to keep an eye on the goods. I noticed that the plastic wrap that was starting to get wind trapped underneath it. A few moments later, I had lost three boxes of prototype car parts on the highway. I immediately pulled over on the left side of the highway (and chanted "God help me" over and over). (There was too much traffic to get to the right side of the highway.) I watched as the boxes got ran over and decided it was better for me to reorder some pieces of plastic than to risk my life playing frogger on the highway. Plus, the Tundra is such a big honkin truck, that I wasn't entirely out of traffic. So I got back on the road and took the nearest exit, examined the goods at a gas station, and took the rest of the parts to the supplier. When I got off work that day, it was after 7pm, which is pretty late for me. The next day was interesting too when I had to explain what happened to my manager and everyone else involved with reordering the parts. But it all worked out, so I can laugh at it now. But that was probably my most stressful day of work this whole term. Then I had some store-bought, high-sodium pad thai and watched the Avengers with a friend to make it better.
That weekend made up for the stressful week though. I went to Cedar Point with a few other co-ops for the Halloween jazz there. I actually really enjoy standing in line for hours because it makes for great conversation. However, it was about 40 degrees that day and raining and we were not prepared for that kind of nonsense. So we ended up buying gloves and ponchos from the gift shop. Definitely a memorable day! And the next day, I got to meet up with several of my favorite man friends at Culver's on their way back to Cedarville from their weekend of dirt-biking! (Thanks Mike for organizing that!) I'm so glad that worked out. I'm always encouraged just by being around them, even if we are just talking about not showering for several days or whatever the conversation may be.
Cedar Point kiddos! (Me, Albert, Kristi, Jason)
I started helping out with the youth group (Catalyst) at Grace Bible Church in Ann Arbor in October. One of my first events with them was a scavenger hunt ("Amazing Race") through the city of Ann Arbor. It was a really cool way to get to know them as well as the town. Plus it was just random and hilarious, so I enjoyed it. My favorite thing we had to do was Christmas carol at a random house...keep in mind, this is October.
For Halloween, we were allowed to dress up at work. Most people didn't take advantage of this, but.....you guys know me. I took the opportunity to wear the kimono again. Keep in mind that I work at a Japanese company (Toyota)....so it was a risk, but it was a risk I was willing to take despite jeopardizing political correctness. I didn't realize this meant I had to get my picture taken and sent out to the entire Toyota Technical Center. Word to the wise, that's what happens.
Flaunting the kimono...and steel toes.
Theresa, me, and Kevin (aka Indiana Jones with a crystal skull)
Halloween night in Canton was a rainy mess. But you would be surprised how many children were willing to brave the rain in costumes for some free candy. I helped hand out the candy at the Belveal house with a friend of mine, which was so much fun! The best idea was to throw on a clear trash bag over the princess dresses and such so that the outfits were visible and the rain wasn't such a problem.
[I'm realizing that this post is going to take a long time to read. But it also took a long time to write it, so please continue trucking along. It also took a long time to live it, so consider that.]
My friend Jaret found a groupon for a scuba certification course, so I jumped on that with him. The only setback was less time to train for my half marathon, but it was worth it. So for the first three weeks of November, I had scuba class every Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 10pm. We got to go scuba diving at a local indoor pool, and we got to listen to a really funny man lecture about the Benz and such. I passed the final exam, so now I just have to actually do my open water dive to be certified. I decided it was better to not do that in the frigid November waters in Michigan, so I'm planning on spring break. Although, Jaret and I are both planning on coming back to Ann Arbor for a summer co-op term, so we will probs scuba together in the great lakes this summer.
I also took a couple homeless guys to dinner. Now, before you get your panties in a wad being all concerned for my safety, I will let you know that I took at least one other trusted co-op guy with me on both of these instances. And God was so in it! I am actually itching to do it again. The biggest thing I noticed is that homeless guys can TALK. I think they don't have people that sit down and actually listen to them often, so it was a blessing to be able to give that attention to them, as well as a warm meal. The one guy said it had been years since he had been in a restaurant. The conversations were definitely interesting. And I was humbled by the biblical knowledge and faith of one of the men, John. Everyone has a story, and you can learn something from every person. Just many times we don't listen. [Note to my male Cedarville friends....I will probably try to persuade you to do this with me next semester.]
Toyota hosted a "Lunch & Learn" lunch meeting called Managing Difficult Conversations. It sounded like a helpful session, so I went to it. Basically, what I heard was "how to manipulate people and conversations so things go your way." And most of what they said to do were things that are natural to do anyway if you have Love in your heart...just with a different (selfish) mentality. The Bible is definitely the best life coach out there (although, pastors and wonderful Jesus-loving counselor friends are helpful as well).
This semester was full of many firsts.......some I wish didn't happen (read on), but nevertheless. One of my first-time experiences was going to CANADA! I went on this epic trip with several other co-op students. First, we went to Niagara Falls. Then we went to Toronto and shopped around the St. Lawrence Market and went to the top of the CN Tower. On the way back to Michigan, however, we got caught in a snow storm. This was not just any snow storm. This was an unexpected snow storm. One minute the roads were clear with a chance of flurries, and the next minute, the highway was covered in a solid layer of snow, causing me to spin out. I was driving three of us, and I was in the left lane when I started spinning. At first, we did a 180.......we were facing oncoming traffic with headlights coming right at us. I thought for sure it was the end of my life. I was at peace about it, but I still tried to get us to safety. We kept spinning, and I kept using my brakes. Miraculously - and I do not use that term lightly - we ended up on the right shoulder of the highway, facing the correct direction to drive, totally stopped, and totally safe. Netsanet was in the front with me, and we just kept saying over and over "THANK YOU GOD!" After my hands stopped trembling and I didn't feel the need to continue vomiting apologies to Nets and Cleveland, I got SLOWLY back on the highway. I was only going 40mph then, but the snow got worse and worse until literally it was a blizzard. I could only go 20mph at that point. It was practically zero visibility. One minute, we would be in the right-most lane, then ten seconds later I see the barrier wall 5 feet to my left. So we took the first exit we came to, and there was one hotel off that exit. We made it to the hotel and got one of the last spots in the parking lot. We used the computer inside to look up the weather. The snow was supposed to continue overnight without letting up. And there was NO way I was going back out on the roads in those conditions. So we asked for a room. They were booked because of the wedding going on in the hotel. But they let us sleep in the lobby on couches. When we woke up in the morning, there were about thirty people who had slept in the hotel lobby due to the storm. And then I realized that Canadians can be quite hospitable. They gave us free coffee AND helped shovel out my car from the two feet of snow it was buried under. Eventually, we made it home safe and sound. Stupid lake effect snow......no more driving through Canada in winter, especially with my front-wheel drive car.
Having fun with the light display near Niagara Falls
Me and the rest of the gang at the falls. I look like I don't belong, but I really do. Scout's honor....even though I'm not a scout.
Good thing I remembered where I parked!
For Thanksgiving, I didn't have to travel as far as I usually do. My grandma always hosts Thanksgiving, and she only lives an hour-ish from my aunt and uncle's house...much better than the trip up from Kentucky. In the morning, my mom, Laurel, aunt, uncle, Kyle, Emma, and I ran the Turkey Trot 5K in Canton, then we went over to Grandma's for the rest of the day. It was a whirlwind after that. The Detroit Lions won the Thanksgiving Day football game for the first time in ten years! I played catch-up with the relatives - much "What Does the Fox Say?" talk with the Fox side of the family. Black Friday shopping in the morning was fun as usual, my favorite part being the breakfast afterwards with my mom's old high school friends and their daughters. From there, we drove down to Berlin, OH to explore Amish Country before my half marathon there. Leah and Eric met up with us for dinner at Pizza Hut (sorry Leah, yes, I did NEED pasta).
My Half Marathon was a fantastic, hilly, 30 degree mess. It definitely lived up to the hype. I finished in 2:18, which I thought was great for having all of those seemingly endless, steep hills. And I kept my goal of not walking! And the commemorative block of cheese they gave me at the end was lactose free, so I could eat it! My favorite part of the event was having my sister, mom, and grandma there supporting me. They even made signs! In fact, one of my Christmas presents from my mom is a frame with several pictures from the event.
After running 13.1 miles! (And raising $100 for ActiveWater)
Laurel, Grandma, Me, and Mom after the race
The next weekend, I went on a ski trip with the Belveals and my grandma up to Shanty Creek, MI. It was my first time skiing this year, and it was definitely a blast. It was great chill time too.....talking, eating, playing games with the cousins. Their cabin is a great retreat.
The view from the cabin
The next weekend, I desperately needed to see Layla. Layla is a wonderful friend I made of the summer when I went to the UP with Mike and the gang. She is a family friend of the Brittans. So I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by visiting the Brittans and Layla the same weekend in Kalamazoo. So we planned out a weekend visit. However, the roads were awful with snow everywhere. If it weren't my last chance to visit this semester, and I didn't so desperately with to talk to Layla, I probably wouldn't have gone. Plus, Mike wasn't even going to be there because he was out in Arizona doing mission work at a Native American reservation. But I went anyway (probably against my better judgment, with the roads as bad as they were), and had a wonderful and much-needed visit with Layla and the Brittans. We went to dinner and saw the Peter Pan play in downtown Kalamazoo. And Layla showed me the glassblowing shop. We had life-giving conversation. I enjoyed Layla's church on Sunday and lunch. Then I headed back to Canton that afternoon, so it was a short visit but definitely worth it. Although, hopefully the next time I hang with Mike's family, he can join in on the party.
Layla and me waiting for Peter Pan to start
Frolicking downtown in the snow and decorations before dinner
My final week of in Michigan went exceptionally well. In fact, I don't think I could have imagined it going any better. I got such a fantastic evaluation that even the co-op coordinator was impressed. Evidently, nobody usually ever get's 5's on the evaluations at Toyota. I accepted an offer to come back for the summer in chassis design. I gave my final presentation to the vice president of TTC nearly flawlessly. And the Belveals took me out for dinner on my last night! We went to Antonio's, which is a wonderful Italian place with great bread. And when we got home, they gave me a super sweet gift: a leather-bound 2014 planner with my name embossed and scripture for each day! I couldn't have thought of anything better - it was so perfect!
Then I came home for the break! My friend Albert lives in Florida, so he stayed at the house for a couple days on his way down and got to meet my family and bff Mary Kate! It was a great weekend of shopping, exercise, Mexican food, church, going to the Bengals game, and visiting with grandma.
This year, for the Christmas Eve service, I got to serve communion, which was such an honor. Really, what Christmas is all about is symbolized perfectly in communion! And that way, I got to go to two services and see that many more people who I have missed during my escapades across the country (and the world) this year. We did our traditional Christmas stuff with mom at the house then my sisters and I went to dad's place in Lexington for the afternoon. We had a glorious feast, exchanged old stories, gave gifts, and watched a movie.
Leah, Dad, Me, and Laurel cheesin
The enthusiastic passengers, Leah and Eric
And......here's some random, fun stuff:
Mustache Day at Toyota for Mustache Movember!
Getting excited for next semester (Tuesdays and Thursdays will be a party)!!!!
This is adorable, so I had to share.
I also took a road trip with my mom and Laurel the past couple days! We went down to Paducah, KY to visit Aunt Lucy and the rest of the Quimby side of the family. Friday was my Great-Aunt Lucy's 89th birthday! She is such a sweet woman, and I definitely can see why my dad reveres her so much. Then for part dos of the road trip, we went to Nashville (original plan was Knoxville, but that was further than we thought)! I watched the UK vs. UofL game in a hotel gym while I got my workout in. Then we went to the Wildhorse Saloon for dinner, billiards, and plenty of country line dancing! I was glad I had gone there with Mary Kate before and knew that my mom and Laurel needed that experience. This morning, we went to church at Cross Point in Nashville, and it was so perfectly what I needed. My favorite part of the message was that we didn't need to be afraid to do what God is calling us to do because if He wants us to do it, He will enable it!
Inspiration for the everyday
FUTURE:
- After my mom comes back from skiing tomorrow, we plan to get pedicures (much needed after all of the running I've been doing).
- My mom's bday is New Year's Eve! (Happy 49th, Mommy!)
- Planning on doing whatever New Year's stuff Laurel wants to do
- Going on a trip to Virginia with Laurel to visit Uncle George, Aunt Kim, and Grace
- Coming back to Cedarville (on my birthday) then classes start the following day. But I can sing Taylor Swift's 22 song all the time, so that will make any of my frustrations in the next year much better.
Other things to look forward to:
- Rooming with Katelynne - another engineering gal who will be in all of my classes :)
- Reuniting with friends at the ville!
- Figuring out summer plans (I know I said Toyota, but the Dominican Republic is a possibility)
- Spring break - visiting Susan in Mississippi, visiting Grace at Pensacola, Scuba certification in the Keys!
- Crying when some friends graduate in May
- BOLIVIA! Installing a well and sharing Jesus for a week this summer!
Hoping to:
- Join up with jail ministry again
- Take homeless people to dinner like I did in Ann Arbor (with a couple other dudes, no worries)
- Get back into Zumba
- Fall in love all over again with Jesus in a new way
- Stay in touch with family, Grace, Mary Kate, and co-op connections better
- Join a Bible study of friends (Lindsay?)
Mantra of 2014:Duck Feathers......In the words of my wise friend's mother, "Let it roll off like water on duck feathers."
Lindsay!!! I'm so excited too!! Sounds like you've had many adventures of your own as well! I want to join your Bible study when we get back to school.
I'm sooo excited for you to be back! But I'm glad you got to have so many great adventures while you were gone. :)
ReplyDeleteLindsay!!! I'm so excited too!! Sounds like you've had many adventures of your own as well! I want to join your Bible study when we get back to school.
Delete